Monday, January 20, 2014

Snowman Ornaments

A quick rewind to the week before winter break to document our snowman lightbulb ornaments! I found this cute project after a Google search for "ornaments to make with kids"…or something like that and then gave it a little speech-language twist for use in MLS&LR.


I did a trial run the night before 
just to make sure it was going to work!
This one was mine:

When I told Mr. Ludwig all that the project involved (glitter, paint, and spray adhesive), he expressed some reservations as to whether this really was the best idea. I already had all the supplies, so there was no turning back. Ha. ;)

Here's the supply list:
-Lightbulbs (I used clear ones)
-Spray adhesive (I found it at JoAnn Fabrics)
-White glitter
-Puffy paint - orange & black
-Hot glue gun
-Twigs from outside
-Twine
-Mixing bowls

Our ornaments ended up being a 2-day project. The first day was the glittering and painting.  The second day was the glueing arms and tying twine. Both days involved a spoken and then written narrative for some nice expressive language practice.

Step 1: Spray the lightbulbs with a light coat of spray adhesive. 
Disclaimer: I will warn you that the spray adhesive does smell pretty awful, so I was the "official sprayer". I took each bulb in the hallway and gave them a quick spray down.

Step 2: The kids held their bulbs over the mixing bowls and shook glitter all over their bulbs to made sure they were completely covered. 




Step 3: Then, they set their bulbs on the paper to dry.


Step 4: Next, it was time for the puffy paint. Each kiddo got a Post-It note to practice painting. I demo'd that if you squeeze too hard, you will get a big 'ol glob of paint. Not good.

So as we say….
Dot, dot, not a lot!




Once the kids were confident painters, 
it was time for the real deal!











And after they were all painted, 
we set them down to dry. 


And then we wrote down the steps
for a nice procedural narrative! 




We incorporated synonyms for those who needed synonyms
and verb tense for those who needed verb tense.



****Fast forward to Day 2****

Step 5: We attached the arms with hot glue.
Step 6: And tied twine around the top to finish off the ornament.

And then we used our leftover time 
to finish our writing pieces:


The kids were really creative and 
they all turned out pretty darn cute. 
Here are a few of these cute little guys: 





And there you have it!



We tried hard to keep our glitter contained, but I think we will have glitter in our  speech & language room for a very, very long time.

Thanks for checking in!
Mrs. Ludwig

1 comment: